Wednesday 14 August 2013

Revlon Lash Potion Mascara vs. Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Retro Glam Mascara


Who's Gonna Win My Vote?



As I mentioned in a previous blog post, Boots had a 2 for 15 euro deal on Revlon products and I was quite intrigued by their newest mascara: Revlon Lash Potion. I had originally went into Boots to see if they had the new Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Retro Glam Mascara (and they did on offer for 5 euro). I'm not usually at mascara crazy person. I generally just have one or two that I alternate but I think the packaging is what attracted me to the Lash Potion (it's just really pretty). Advertising and packaging often gets me. As my dad would say, "They saw you comin' a mile away." Anyway, I came for the Retro Glam (which also has a lovely advert) and left with 2 fairly new mascaras that claim amazing things. Big lashes, with the typical promises of volume & length without the clumping, flaking, and all those other irritating things that can happen with less than desirable mascaras. Let's see what wins my heart most... :)


First we have Revlon Lash Potion:


The wand/brush is a good size and is easy enough to use. The good things: It gives a natural full volume. Lashes are covered evenly, no clumping (even after multiple coating), or spider lashes. It looks good. Doesn't have a false eye lash look but then again it doesn't seem to advertise that effect anyway. For me there are only 2 drawbacks: it's not black enough. It's kind of an off black and it just doesn't have that pop to it. Not a bad thing for everyone, but I just prefer the blackest possible mascaras. Second issue is that it does smudge/give that raccoon look if you've been hit with humidity it's not terribly bad but I expected more from a mascara that was slightly more on the pricey side for a drugstore brand. So, this isn't the worst, I'm not sorry I bought it, but not completely satisfied either. I later read on many other reviews that the waterproof version is much better. But I only had one option, non-waterproof. 


Next up Rimmel Scandal Eyes Retro Glam:


The advert goes for a fun 60s vibe. Big big lashes. The false lash effect is what it goes for. The wand as you can see is kind of an hourglass shape and it's suppose to be easier for the brush to get all the smaller lashes, the ones typically missed by most. I assumed it'd just be a gimmick and I suppose it is but: IT WORKS! The good: Very black, very full lashes with only one application, easy to use, no clumping, smearing, or flaking. Also, it fares waaaay better in the heat/humidity than Lash Potion and it isn't even waterproof. The bad: I have nothing bad to say about this product. As a matter of fact it may be my new favorite drugstore brand. Kinda glad the advert hypnotized into purchasing. 

Both are high quality drugstore mascaras but out of the two Retro Glam wins!

Have you tried either of these?




3 comments:

  1. I just bought Lash Potion and can't wait to try it because I've heard such good things about it :o). xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!
    Also I nominated you for the Liebster Award!! I hope you can
    answer the questions here : http://mintsunday.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/liebster-award.html
    I would LOVE to read them :)

    Amelia http://mintsunday.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley! Have tagged you in my post today for Top 10 Beauty Buys. Hope you'll join in :O). Xx

    http://makeupbycandlelight.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/top-10-beauty-buys-tag.html

    ReplyDelete