Friday 14 June 2013

Behind the Candelabra Film Review

Lots of Glitter and Palatial Kitsch!

I saw this movie last week, alone. Sometimes it's interesting to see a movie alone. It's like having a secret, but a secret that doesn't eat away at your soul. You're alone, no one knows who you are, you can laugh at whatever you want and sometimes open up a space time vacuum thing that makes you feel like you're the only one in the universe...well maybe that's going too far. But rumor is theater screens were created to have a "womb" like feeling to make you comfortable and connected. But I digress...onto the movie review...



I wasn't sure what I'd be walking into, well, that's a lie, you kind of know what you'll be walking into when you're going to see a movie about Liberace & Co. I guess I wasn't sure how good it'd be. Bio-pics are usually either really good or lame. I saw Michael Douglas on the Graham Norton Show a few weeks ago and that's when I found out Michael Douglas was cast as Liberace. I thought to myself "Michael Douglas, Liberace? hmm...does that work?" Well...It definitely DOES!!! He does a fantastic job. It's eerie as hell. Matt Damon does a phenomenal job as well. The film itself is based on the memoir by the same name written by Liberace's partner Scott Thorson. It's a very moving and at some times disturbing story. A typical love story with lots of drama and heartache, and a decent ending. Grand and glamourous. If you can handle guy on guy action, some disturbing plastic surgery scenes, and the flamboyance that is Liberace, then I say go for it. It's good. I have no regrets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment