Wednesday 3 July 2013

The Bling Ring: How a Gang of Fame-Obsessed Teens Ripped Off Hollywood and Shocked the World

I just don't get some people or their parents... All I know is my mama would probably knock the shit outta me if I even dreamed of doing what these kids did. But (not in the perpetrators defense whatsoever) who the hell doesn't lock their doors?



I picked this book up on a whim as I've been dying to see Sofia Coppola's movie about the "Bling Ring" which comes out July 5th (at least here in Ireland). 
I vaguely remember hearing about these burglaries and also vaguely remember thinking "hmm" rich people stealing from rich people, "do I really care or do I think it's funny?" I guess I was more or less partly disgusted that these overly privileged kids would do something like that and think that it was ok and kinda laughing at how rich people think it's ok to just go about willy nilly while the doors to your cars and homes are sittin' pretty and unlocked. Common sense. I lock my doors when I'm home in the middle of the day. Whatever...I could rant on and on about the dumbassery of some people but this is a book review and not a rant.
The book is by Nancy Jo Sales, who has written for The New York Times and Vanity Fair. This book was actually jump started by an article she wrote for Vanity Fair. In this book she attempts to tell the story in full pulling information from interviews with those involved (the kids, cops, lawyers, mother, etc...). It's the sort of book that is good for a long bus journey or flight. It reads easy and it's a "light" read. One could relate it to watching an E! News special for hours on end. It's fun but repetitive and actually has quite a few mistakes, like missing words, or obvious accidental misspellings. i.e. then where only "the" should be. Simple, silly mistakes that could be easily fixed/prevented. It's the sort of shit I do when I'm writing a 5000 + essay the night before it's due. For all I know I'm doing that right now as it is 3:35am and I can't sleep. 
 The book was publish in conjunction with Sofia Coppola's film (the tactic worked, as I totally bought the book) and the book has satiated my appetite for pseudo-reality/celebrity drama for now. I thoroughly recommend it if you need something fun to read. Actually, I shouldn't describe it as fun or funny because in all honesty some of the things these kids say are disturbing and mind-boggling. Anyway, check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment