Friday 9 August 2013

A.L.T. (André Leon Talley) A Memoir


My brother got me this book along with a few others for Christmas. We're definitely a book giving family. My brother and I are always in competition to give each other gifts that the other won't expect or will be really pleased about. I recommended my brother get this for me for Christmas when he asked what I wanted and I was absolutely stoked when I got it. Some of you may recognize André from a few cycles on America's Next Top Model as a judge (and it's a pity he's gone because he made the show more fun). You may also recognize him sitting beside Anna Wintour at fashion shows. He is the former editor-at-large for Vogue and now is a contributing editor. He's hilarious, chic, unique, and mesmerizing in an indescribable way. He's an interesting character to say the least. That's why I devoured his book in just a few days (most of which was on an 8 hour flight to Dublin). Read on to find out what I thought of his memoir!





With memoirs you never really know what you're going to get. And you can't always expect flawless writing. But this one definitely exceeds expectations. I expected it to be funny, colorful, and dazzling. And it was. And of course very well written. It was like a Vogue article in that the language, flow/style of sentences, made you want to buy any clothing or meet any person mentioned. (I hope that makes sense).

For the majority of the book André talks about growing up in Durham, North Carolina and the most influential person in his life: his grandmother. It's an endearing relationship with many good/inspirational stories. The second part of the book focuses on Diana Vreeland who was the second most influential person/mentor in André's life. She's very eccentric and very well known. She has several biographies/memoirs/collections of her work.

I'd say this books is for anyone who has an interest in fashion/fashion industry and likes reading memoirs. You feel like you really get to know André and then you cry many many tears when you realize you don't know him really and wish you did. You want him to be your guru, your mentor, tell you that you can do whatever you want and be fabulous. I loved this book and will probably read it again.

Are there any memoirs you absolutely love? Please share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment